1. Prepare 2 layers of cotton flannel. Cut the flannel so that it is large enough to cover the area to be treated. For example, to use a castor oil pack over the abdominal area, the size of the flannel cloth should be cut 8”x 8” (2 sheets thick). The packs can be smaller or slightly larger up to 12”x 10”.
2. Plastic Sheet. Cut a plastic sheet a little larger than the flannel cloth. The plastic is used to protect the heating pad from getting oily. A plastic grocery bag works fairly well, but avoid using the side that has printed ink.
3. Apply castor oil. Then place the flannel cloth on top of the plastic sheet and pour the oil over the entire cloth in a back and forth motion. Next, to make sure the oil is spread evenly, fold the cloth in half and smooth over the surface. When the cloth is opened, it should be wet but not dripping. The saturated cloth should then be placed directly on the area you are going to pack with the plastic sheet on top of it. The plastic sheet should cover the entire exterior of the flannel, since castor oil is likely to stain any fabric it touches. (The most effective position for holding a castor pack is lying down on an old towel or blanket.)
4. Heating Pad. Place the heating pad over the top of the plastic sheet on a medium setting, or higher if it is comfortable. The heat will promote absorption, increase circulation, and help the body to relax. The pack is generally left in place for approximately 60 minutes (up to 1½ hours.) If you’d like, place a bath towel over the top of the heating pad to hold in the heat and an elastic bandage or belt to hold the heating pad in place.
Caution: Heat should not be used in conditions where it is normally contraindicated, such as a fever, appendicitis, or diabetic neuropathy. However, the castor oil pack may be used without heat in these conditions. Castor Packs should never be used during pregnancy or nursing.
5. Wash Off Area. After using the castor oil pack, cleanse the skin using a wash cloth and Premier Liquid Soap or other non toxic soap. Washing the area helps clear acidic toxins which have been drawn out of the body during the treatment and prevents reabsorption through the skin.
Castor Oil Pack Without Heat. An alternative method is to apply the castor oil pack without heat, using a towel wrapped around the body (with safety pins to hold it in place). This can be left on for several hours.
Do Not Reuse The Cotton Flannel. Because the flannel absorbs toxins and waste products, it is best to discard them after the first use. We do not recommend washing them for reuse either. Any exposure to chemicals in the water, detergent, etc. will be absorbed into the body.
Intestines - Make sure to cut enough flannel cloth to cover the entire surface of the abdomen from one inch above the belly button to the top of the pubic bone. For the average size female the measurement is usually 8”x 8”. Extra Abdominal Fat: The area of the cloth may need to be wider, and the pack should be held for 1½ hours. This is to ensure that the castor oil has ample time to work through the fat layers to “draw” toxins from the intestines and the lymph.
Kidneys - Your kidneys are located on the lower-mid section of the back on either side of the spine at the lowest level of the rib cage. Their meridian points are located right beneath the ribcage on each side. You want the flannel to cover both areas, so cut two sections of flannel to measure approximately 8”x 5” (or the size of your hand). Place each section of flannel over the area of the kidneys and the meridian points. The flannel should extend diagonally, inward toward the waist.
Liver - Cut a piece of flannel cloth to cover the area shown below. Make sure it wraps around the right ribcage toward the back.
For general use over a specific problem area such as a tumor, aching muscle, etc., use the castor oil pack at least 2 times per week over the targeted area, for 60 minutes (up to 1 ½ hours) per session, for 2-4 weeks. Wait a few days in between each castor pack session.
If you plan to target a specific organ such as the liver or colon (abdomen), it is best to use a castor oil pack over that area 1 time per week for 3 weeks.
For general, whole-body detoxification you want to pack the three key detox organs one time per week for 3 weeks. Follow this sequence:
If you have been chronically ill for a long time, it is likely that you have a high degree of lymphatic congestion, and use of the castor pack for an hour may be too much at first. If this is the case for you, it is best if the packs are used for smaller amounts of time (such as 30 minutes per session). As the general condition of the body improves, the packs may be used more frequently and/or for longer periods of time (for 1 to 1½ hours per session).